What a time to be a simple and humble public servant. One who devotes their daily doings to leave a lasting mark on a child who hopefully will go on to leave their mark on the world.
Well, 625 people got their mark today! Tucson Unified School District handed out 625 pink slips to employees, roughly 560 being teachers. Basically if you were employed for three years or less at TUSD, you got the boot. Why? Money - or lack there of.
Thank god I teach in another district right??? Um, not quite as we are also cutting back but our district rarely makes information public, especially to the news media and thus a "shroud of mist" remains on how bad our cuts are. I know at least 5 teachers at my school (out of 40) have been handed pink slips.
I know there are issues: we are in a recession, everyone is losing their job (not!), cuts have to come from somewhere, cuts have to be balanced, blah, blah, blah. These are CHILDREN, hello?
Ever try to manage, not to mention T-E-A-C-H, a group of 40 students in a 300 square foot classroom? With staffing cuts, 40 students is becoming the reality.
While I would love to bash the good ol' "change" in the White House, I would equally like to blame the penny pinching witch up in Phoenix, things are complex. To help dispel a couple "retorts" I get, I submit the following "realities":
1. Stimulus solves all! - NOT.
Stimulus money is earmarked ONLY for low-income and Special Education students. And NO this money won't help save "other" monies currently spent on these programs. Money for these programs has ALWAYS been separate and just for those populations. Thanks to Barrack, the monies have some interesting strings - i.e. low income monies have to be spent on "one time expenses". Poor students don't have "one time expenses", they need to be feed, transported and given assistance every day!
2. Blame the unions! - What unions?
Arizona is a "right to work" state, unions have NO power here to do anything. Some people mentioned that unions are responsible for keeping poor quality senior teachers employed - again "right to work" state here!
3. School districts spent to much and have to pay the piper - Um, what's too much?
School districts spend what they are given because in most cases the state takes away whatever monies are not spent at the end of the fiscal year. Don't spend it, you lose it! Now we are just losing money we don't even have. Is the state of Arizona paying the piper - hmm?
4. Some teacher will be hired back - Maybe, but who is optimistic in a recession!
5. Teachers can find another school district - 560 teachers?
560 teachers is an ENTIRE school district worth of teachers! Do a job search for any district in Tucson, Arizona in fact. They all have hiring freezes! There may be a position or two but either a) it is Special Ed. (and believe me you'll see A LOT of veteran teachers getting certified in that ASAP) or b) it is open to current district employees only (they are transferring an employee vs. terminating them).
6. This just shows that public education sucks! - No, it shows the funding sucks.
I am all for parents' choice for their child to attend private school. I went to private high school and may end up sending my children. However, the Constitution provides for a "free and public" education. What percent of Americans can afford a private education - 5%? We HAVE to provide public education for the other 95%, so let's make it the best we can.
7. I will just enroll my child in private school - Hello more staff cuts!
Many parents have a whip-lash reaction to the cuts and want to pull their child out of public school and put them in private to "send a message". Well the message sent is "lower student attendance". Don't punish the school, we didn't decided to fire ourselves! Demand action from the legislature - all the way to the top!
What is my idea to solve all this? Couple suggestions - stop stupid "temporary gain" public projects, i.e. the main library in Tucson is getting a $325,000 make over with new carpet... That would be the salaries of 10 teachers, not much but a start!
Next, stop building baseball stadiums and sports complexes in Phoenix to "attract" new business. WHAT new business!!! No one wants to spend money in this economy. That would save tens of millions of TAXPAYER dollars which means no lay-offs for a couple school districts.
The list goes on but it doesn't matter. Until people stop electing stupid politicians on both sides, it won't improve. I sincerely hope everyone likes taxes A LOT, because with this valuation of education - the "welfare nation" may become a reality.
What about cynical me?
I will continue to strive to leave my mark on every student I teach, (a large portion who are Special Education - watch me work that stimulus money).
I will continue to educate, honor and teach respect for all American ideals, ESPECIALLY education!
I will do my best with the very least that I am given, and I will continue to see my students struggle, overcome and thrive.
As a superintendent wrote to employees facing pink slips, "It is in these times of uncertainty and instability, that students will look towards us and our actions. Our true character is shown by how we handle adversity."
Amen sister and fight the good fight.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Teaching... in this era of "pink slips".
Posted by Frenzied Family Four at 11:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
WOW! What more can I say!? The people who need the most help they can get are getting pink slips. Not only are we slapping our kids with our debt...but now we are not going to even educate them so they can work it off? NICE!
With what the gov't has done with public education... I am SCARED TO DEATH about what will happen if they get a hold of the health care system. Hold on to your pants! Don't even get me started.... I just finished my taxes....
Post a Comment