Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Elusive "Z"

I am begging for some input here!

It has been three weeks without a solid night of sleep for myself and I am about to lose my mind! I can get to sleep but I cannot stay asleep. I wake up repeatedly between 1 and 3 am and sometimes around 5 am, usually twenty to thirty minutes apart. Each time I wake up I have a little panic attack. I had to put a night light in the room to help me out! I have panic attacks during the day stressing over missing so much sleep and of course I am always tired!

I have tried various antihistamines (Benadryl and Vistaril) which help me sleep longer in the morning but leave me really hung over and I still have the waking episodes! There is really nothing else the doctors will give me as I am 34+ weeks pregnant. Ugh!

I have tried exercise, temperature change, sleeping arrangement change, pillows, bedding, baths, tea, etc. but nothing works!

I was convinced I was going insane until I talked to a friend who said she had the same problem with both pregnancies and that it was your body gearing up for the sleep interruptions you have with a newborn - especially with breast-feeding. I had none of this with Amelia though so I am frustrated!

Thus my question - Did anyone else have this issue and any suggestions?

I am going to see a naturopath this week as there are a lot of herbal/homeopathic remedies that are much safer in pregnancy than the standard sleep meds but any input from friends would be appreciated!

On another note - My bp is not cooperating so it looks as though I may be induced again, obviously prior to 40 weeks.

My bp is really high when they first take it at the doctor's office and then of course drops twenty to thirty points within a half hour or so when I calm down. Talk about white coat hypertension!

The midwives, from what I can gather, are holding off on really taking the bp as 100% though because it does go down. They are basing their decision of when and if to induce on my blood work and labs which I am now doing weekly. Amelia was the same way and I was only induced at the start of 39 weeks because my blood work was starting to look bad or "stressed". We will see!

My personal wishes are a speedy delivery - minimal Pitocin if any! A healthy and fat baby (or at least one with rolls)! Keep us in your prayers! We will let you know when things get a little less "gray" or foggy.

0 comments: