Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Colic SUCKS!

My peaceful little Lily is no longer peaceful at all. Around 3 weeks old she started having fussiness after eating. The first night with this, we were up for an hour and a half after a feeding trying to get her back to sleep. Things have quickly gone from bad to worse and a week and a half later, we spend at least an hour and a half trying to get her back to sleep each time she eats.

The poor babe nurses and then almost immediately starts having issues where she spits up a little, arches her back, kicks, moves like crazy, cries, calms down, snoozes for five minutes, gets hungry again, and then repeats the whole cycle. Lily is now sleeping less than two hours at a time and overall sleeping a whole lot less due to the episodes of pain/fussiness.

The lack of sleep has seriously turned me into a horrible ogre and probably the worst 2-year old parent on the earth. Little Amelia has to deal with the brunt of my lack of sleep every time she commits a typical two-year old "naughty". I just have had such a hard time keeping control of myself and not verbally flipping out. She is also getting ignored 90% of the time as I am either trying to calm of screaming in pain infant or accidentally dozed off somewhere. Yesterday I actually fell asleep on the toilet - yikes! Luckily my sister-in-law has started helping us and took Amelia for the majority of the day today for some love and attention. I may have my mother come down from Wyoming just for Amelia's sake.

We are off to the doctor shortly to HOPEFULLY figure out that this is GERD (reflux) or something else that we can fix and not just true colic to "deal with" until she outgrows it as I may jump off a cliff sooner than that!

There is this other thing called "milk over-supply" where you have too much milk and it causes a lactose imbalance in newborns and thus stomach pain, gas, fussiness, etc. Lily has some of the symptoms of GERD and some of the symptoms of the milk over-supply but not all the symptoms of either so I am at a loss. I guess we will see, maybe trial and error with medication and reducing my milk volume - which is HUGE as I start having let down if I even bend over.

The other option is to eliminate ALL milk from my diet for two weeks and see if Lily is sensitive to that. I really tried today to have no milk and then ate some homemade chicken pot pie which had cream of mushroom soup and milk - crap! I will keep trying. No more cheese on pizza, lattes, yogurt, ice cream, chocolate, sigh! Anything to help Lily and get sleep for everyone is completely worth it at this point though!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,
I also had problems after nursing, my doctor kept telling me it was colic but I was sure it wasn't. I started pumping in the evening when she was getting upset and I never pumped over an ounce of milk (usually only few drops). We started giving her a bottle during that time and problem solved. Just something to try. :) Good luck. Lisa

Frenzied Family Four said...

Thanks for the tip. I actually happened to come to the same conclusion over time. I had been pumping and having my husband feed Lily via bottle at nights so I could attend to cooking, bathing, laundry, chickens, mail, two-year, blah, blah. She seemed to do really well on the bottle - 2+ ounces down the hatch and not a peep! Nights when I would breast feed, she would sqwirm and fight me. So bottles at night have become the norm! I miss the feeding closeness but enjoy the freedom too. Thanks, Melissa